Friday, June 19, 2009

Patience

Patience is a virtue, or so I'm told. Still, I hate waiting for things. Waiting makes my skin crawl and my leg bounce with anticipation; but wait I shall because wait I must. Patience is a virtue. Keep your eyes on the prize. Stay the course. I should get those statements on tape, and listen to it on repeat.

In my quest to become a healthier person I've lost around 10-12 pounds thus far, but when I look down I still see a long way to go. The healthy way to lose weight is to watch what you eat and exercise. Unfortunately this is also the slow way. They say that if you lose 2-3 pounds a week you're doing well and doing it in a healthy manner. Well damn. I want to lose another 40-50 pounds, so we're looking at a minimum of 14 weeks or so, or 3.5 months. Augh, I can't wait! I suppose every journey has to have a beginning, middle, and an end but this middle is too long! Patience is a virtue. Keep your eyes on the prize. Stay the course.

Another thing I can't wait for is to be a piano/keyboard god. I still practice nearly daily but I feel as if I've hit a wall of sorts. See, the problem is the lessons that I've been watching on YouTube have gone into reading music, different inflections (sharps, flats, piano, forte, etc) and other non-playing subjects. I know a lot of this stuff from playing the trumpet, but I still want to watch it again as a refresher and in case there was something specific to the piano I wasn't aware of (for instance, I just learned about 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, etc). I try to watch one every couple of days so it has time to sink in, but again I find it hard to wait! One day you can call me Ben Folds Jr, but not quite yet. Patience is a virtue. Keep your eyes on the prize. Stay the course.

Still yet another thing I'm waiting on is paying down my debt. I've got a ton of student loans and a fairly high credit card bill that I'm really not happy about. These aren't just things that go away overnight though. It takes consistent payment and extra payment to get the number to budge, even a little. I'm almost done with one of the private loans, so that will be an extra $100 towards one of the other ones. Damn you money! Patience is a virtue. Keep your eyes on the prize. Stay the course.

Every day brings new challenges for which you must exercise patience. Patience with a customer representative on the phone. Patience with a significant other. Patience with our own faults. With consistent hard work and patience you can resolve your problems one step at a time and be much happier in the long run.

1 comment:

Nomakk said...

Good sentiments buddy! Stay the course, may as well be a tag I drag behind me like an advertisement plane! :)