Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quest for the Best: Nong's Hunan Express

All epic journeys start with but a single step. Starting today I vow to find the greatest General Tso's chicken in Columbus. I will not falter, I will not fail. I will be judging the dish on many facets, which are listed below. Without much more further ado whatsoever, I present to you the first installment!

Restaurant: Nong's Hunan Express
Location: 1634 Northwest Blvd & King Avenue
Call: (614) 486-6630


Chicken: Off-taste for chicken, like more dark meat than usual? Not sure, just tastes a little strange. Not very much of it either, which I suppose isn't such a bad thing since it's not that great.

Veggies: Carrots, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Cabbage, Water Chestnuts, Snow Peas. Ample and crisp!

Sauce: Thick, darker than some other Chinese places, appropriate level of spiciness.

Rice: Fried rice, no add-ins, small traces of egg. Standard fare.

Spiciness: Right on target. Not too spicy, not too mild. Made my nose water just a tiny amount. Perfect.

Amount of Food: Rice was more than sufficient, in fact I threw some away. As I said, there was a bit of a shortage of chicken (only got about 4 pieces) but the meal as a whole filled me up. Good amount of veggies.

Price: $6.95

Overall: 4/10 - On a General Tso's chicken dish, it's all about the chicken. While I couldn't complain about the veggies, rice, or sauce, the chicken was both odd tasting and minimal. And for $6.95 at lunch, that's not going to cut it.

Cookie: A little thicker than most fortune cookies I've had, and much more flavor. THIS is what a fortune cookie is supposed to be! Brand: Fortella Co, Inc. (Chicago, IL)
Fortune: You will live long and enjoy life.

No comments: