Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Quest for the Best: Happy House

When I think cheap Chinese, I think Happy House. That's not necessarily a bad thing; it's just quick and dirty, like my love. And that can never be a bad thing.

Restaurant: Happy House
Location: 1267 W 5th Ave
Call: (614) 488-2088

Chicken: Equal parts chicken and breading. Crispy and chewy, but not chewy in a good way. A bit overcooked. However, there is a LOT of it. Half the box is chicken!

Veggies: None. None? Surprising, but it doesn't take too much away from the dish. Still, I can't help feeling a bit like a hedonism bot, only eating chicken and no veggies, but my guess is I'll get over it.

Sauce: Thick, hot, and some decent kick to it. I'm putting my official endorsement behind this sauce!

Rice: Fried rice with no add-ins. Traces of egg and carrot present. Can't complain or lavish praise here.

Spiciness: 3/10. One day I'll find a Chinese place that knows how to make a spicy General Tso's without me explicitly asking for it. It is not this day.

Amount of Food: A lot! Both the chicken and rice are overflowing their respective compartments. Enough food for two meals, no question.

Price: $4.95, and this also includes a drink! When I said cheap Chinese I wasn't kidding!

Overall: 5/10 - I can't say too much bad about this dish, but I also can't say too much good. It has it's ups and downs, but in the end it comes out pretty average. Can't beat the amount of food and drink for the price though.

Cookie: Somewhat stale, not very flavorful. More like fortune styrofoam. Brand: Golden Bowl (New York)
Fortune: No harm in putting all your eggs in one basket - just watch it closely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting...at least I'm learning what places to steer clear of as well!

Also...quick and dirty? Reminded me of "white and nerdy" heh