Thursday, June 25, 2009

Interval Training

It's always good to mix up your routine, it keeps you interested and entertained. Sure, consistency is the key to success in exercise (as it is in most things in life), but doing the same thing every day can get to be disheartening! I think a change (a change) would do me good (a change would do me good).

Here's my current workout each morning:

1) Biking for 12-18 minutes, depending on how I feel
2) Pushups x 20
3) Crunches x 50

Repeat 1-3 twice or three times if I have extra time.

It's a pretty good workout I think; I'm able to work my lower body, midsection, and upper body all while getting both an anaerobic and an aerobic workout. What's that thing I was looking for? Oh yeah, balance!

After reading this I'm thinking about adding interval training to my regimen, maybe once or twice a week. Really, the article doesn't have much to do with what I'm thinking about, but it gave me the idea for interval training. Now I just need to figure out what I'll be doing on these intervals.

One of my weakest points has always been sports with burst involved. Basketball comes to mind, so does ultimate frisbee, and soccer too. Speaking of soccer, who saw the USA beat Spain? I was actually excited to see it - I think I'm getting a sport crush. In any case, interval training could really help me in one of my weakest areas.

So for now I'm thinking once or twice a week I'll head down to the local park and run some kind of sprints. There's a football field there, so I'm thinking maybe 50 yard sprints, followed by 50 yard walkback/rest, repeat 5-10 times. It's possible that I might even do some ladders (sprint 5, walkback, sprint 10, walkback, sprint 15, etc for 50 yards) but this is one of my worst memories of football. There's also a pretty decent hill there, so maybe I could run some hills on days that I'm not feeling the sprints. Anyone have any interval training advice?

Also, sorry for the Sheryl Crow reference.

No comments: