Tuesday, June 30, 2009

New Perspectives

It's always a good idea to step back and take a look at the big picture in your life. Sometimes it will surprise you to find out that the little things in life really don't matter as much as you thought they did. However, there are small pleasures in life that we often take for granted. Take time out today to appreciate these little things - there is a lot to be grateful for.

I recently spent the weekend with a friend, and for the most part was surrounded by women the entire time (not what you're thinking!). It's always an eye opener to step outside of your usual routine and see the world from someone else's point of view. You never know what someone else has been through or is going through. Spending my weekend with women opened my eyes to some joys and fears that the mid-20s American female is going through. If you just take the time to listen there's a lot to learn from everyone around you.

I also took the opportunity this weekend to gain a small window into life as an occupational therapist. My friend works at the hospital, rehabbing folks who are recuperating from life-changing experiences, such as having a stroke. Thinking about someone who isn't able to do everyday "mundane" tasks like walking, throwing a football, or signing their own name really re-emphasized to me how lucky I really am. I'm in good health, all my appendages work as they should, and I don't have any lingering pain/disability that haunts me on a daily basis (physically or mentally).

Take time out today to appreciate the little things - there is a lot to be grateful for. The little things in life can be the source of your frustration or the bright spot of every day. If you let the bad ones go and cherish the good ones you'll start living a happier and healthier life. Remind yourself each morning to step back and look at the big picture. Life is too short to dwell on the bad little things, when there's so many good little things to go around.

2 comments:

Brad said...

P.S. Amanda can't throw a football, did she have a stroke?

Blogmanda said...

I just saw this..I hate you Brad!