Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Maybe we can work it out (work it out)

One of my goals now that I've stopped playing World of Warcraft is to eat better. When you take a look in the mirror and get a surreal feeling like you're looking at someone else you know something is askew. I'm not chubby, husky, pleasantly plump, or any other niceties. I'm fat. Plain and simple. Let it all out. Yeah, see that there? Looks like a 8 month baby waiting to get out of my belly.

So to lose the weight, what do I have to do? Two things. Buy some HydroxyCut and wait. No wait, that's if I want to fail miserably at losing weight and keeping it off long term. What I need to do is very simple, and it's time tested and true.

1) Watch my intake
2) Increase my output

That's it. Simple, effective, and straightforward. I've read a lot, talked to a lot of people, and seen results in people I know. The ONLY way to lose and keep weight off you is to watch what you eat and exercise. It's a lifestyle commitment, not a one time journey.

Here's how your body works. You eat food, which contains energy. Throughout the course of a day you use energy. If you eat more food (consume more energy) than the amount you expend each day you have a surplus. What does your body do when there is a surplus? Well the human body came prepared to deal with a surplus, and it stores it away in fat cells. If you expend more energy than you take in a given day, your body grabs some of the stored energy out of storage to compensate.

Very simple and easy to follow. Eat more food than you need, gain fat/weight. Expend more energy than you eat, lose fat/weight.

Watching intake
People make two common mistakes when starting a "diet". If you can avoid these two pitfalls, half of your work towards getting healthy is done.

Firstly, they shrink their portions to almost nothing. Your body needs food to survive. If it does not get this food it can not function properly. You've heard it before. If you starve yourself, your body will think it is starving! It will feel the need to immediately store any food it does get, and this will lead to slower results and unhealthy weight loss. Also, you'll be cranky because you'll always be hungry. The important thing is not to eat tiny, but to eat moderately. Eat a portion which will make you feel satisfied. This does not mean full, but it also does not necessarily mean the "suggested" serving size. Everyone is different and has different serving sizes that will make them feel satisfied.

Secondly, they stop eating foods they like. People seem to think that once they start watching their intake they have to start eating like a rabbit. Sure broccoli, lettuce, and celery are good substitutes for potato chips, fries, and nachos but they aren't the end-all when it comes to eating more positively. You CAN still eat cookies, beef, and your favorite sugary cereal (hello Golden Grahams!) it's just all about moderation. Become aware of what you are eating. I like both Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies and Fig Newtons. I choose the latter because when you check the nutrition information, the Newtons are an order of magnitude better for you than the Oatmeal pies. Choose the lesser of two evils when you have a choice. If there is no alternative, don't sweat it. Eat what makes you happy, and if its terribly bad for you make up for it in another area.

Remember, it's not about eating tiny or eating foods you hate. It's all about moderation and taking in fewer calories than you expend. Which leads me to the other half of getting a healthier body.

Increase Output
So the second half of the equation is to increase your caloric expenditure. The most important thing to exercising is to get your heart rate up. It does not matter how you do it, just that you get it up. I hate swimming. I can't do it very well. I get tired after one lap and my head hurts. Instead, I go running, rowing, or biking. I actually enjoy doing these things, and they all get my heart rate up. Hell, if you can get someone to have sex with you enough and that gets your heart rate up, go for that! Whatever you choose, aim for a certain amount of time each day that your heart rate will be elevated. Don't worry about calories burned or total time spent each week. Just get that heart rate up. In time you'll find your comfort zone of how long to go and how much to push yourself. Just remember to keep on pushing.

If you aren't motivated enough to do a full workout, just take it in steps. Tell yourself that you only need to go for 10 minutes, and gauge if you should continue after that. My guess is you'll feel good after those first 10 minutes :)

As long as you take in fewer calories than you are expending each day you'll meet your target weight in time. Remember, its not a race to lose weight and a healthy loss should be anywhere between 1-3 pounds per week. With time and consistent behavior you can reach your goal. Remember it's a lifestyle change, not a temporary inconvenience and as long as you stay committed, you'll start to notice very positive results. You can do it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I started working out, my main goal was just to swim. I got over that pretty quick since the pool is crowded with swim lessons and children having fun by the time I arrive. I signed up at the YMCA and got into their free 12 week program. OK - great. Now what? Well, I stopped eating fast food - nixed the soda all together (been 3 days now...) and keep pushing myself harder each day.

Is it hard? Fuck yea. I'm fortunate to have some people helping me along. It's hard to not be able to do this WITH someone - but I have done this before on my own, I can do it again.

My only current issue is watching my intake. While I have never been one for huge portions...I still don't quite eat right. But I'm not trying to jump ship...so I'm taking it slow. At least I'm not letting McDonalds drip down my chin...

lol ok that was kind of gross.

I think you've got a great thing going on Dave. You'll do well and will start seeing the results you want. Especially if you keep this up.

Chris said...

Very commendable. I actually just took a nutrition class, so if you have any questions or anything, feel free to e-mail me at twalkins_ca@yahoo.com. I have a book and everything! Very handy.

Dave said...

OAM - you continue to be inspiration for me, and I hope I can be that for you as well. :)

Chris - Thanks for the offer! I went to the gym last night for the first time in a long time. Man, I forgot how much I loved the gym. For the time being I'm just trying to eat proper portions and stay away from greasy food and "meaningless" calories like candy and pop. Thanks for stopping by!

Chris said...

Don't forget - A diet doesn't exclude the unhealthy foods you love. It's all about eating them sparingly. A honkey donk or a doodle doo every now and then is alright, so long as you don't devour the box in a sitting.