Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Years!

It came faster than I ever expected. New Years was here and gone in the blink of an eye, and I must say I was pretty happy with the amount of hullaballo surrounding this year. Usually there is way too much made about a new year, new beginning, etc surrounding January 1. Seriously, it's just another day. This year was much better though. It was a chance to reflect on the old year and where I was one year ago and where I am now. I think I'm in a much better spot, most specifically because of my graduation. What? I haven't posted about my graduation on here?! Crap!

So, I did it! I finally did it. Seven long years later, I'm finally done. Even I couldn't believe it when I was at the commencement. But now I have my diploma, and it's sitting in my room on my bookcase. It STILL feels surreal, more than 3 weeks after it was finalized. The biggest thing I've noticed is a constant feeling of "what do I have to do tonight to be ready for tomorrow" is still present. The answer? Nothing. Nothing at all. Not having homework for the first time in my life is most definitely a relief.

So, anyways the commencement was great, aside from a few key people missing. I wish my Dad could have been there, but he was sick with the flu at home. I wish my mom could have been there, but she passed away earlier this year. If only I had finished in LESS than 7 years :( And thirdly I wish Sham could have been there. She was very helpful in pushing me through those first five years, then finally couldn't take it anymore. I can't say I blame her, I just wish she could have seen it herself. Thanks for everything.

For the people who were there, I was very grateful. Mikey came down, which was pretty important to me since my dad couldn't make it. What a great guy. Cait was of course there, as well she should be since it was her that helped me the most through this last quarter (many times to her own displeasure; I'm not always nice when I'm avoiding homework). And my sister drove down with her boyfriend Lor, even though I told her not to worry about it. It was a small party, but I really felt glad that everyone cared enough to sit through the long ceremony.


So yeah, it was a pretty banner year for me full of lots of new changes. And isn't that what life is really about? Change is life. Oh hell, I might as well get it out since I say it all the time anyways.

Change is inevitable, growth is optional

It's pretty much my life motto, and as mottos go I couldn't do much better.

So on new year's eve I got to hang out with old friends who I don't see as much as I'd like anymore. Much drinking and cavorting was had, with the quintessential champagne being downed at midnight (thanks Jay for setting that up!) and of course the obligatory 12:00AM through 12:01AM makeout minute with the girl, lucky me! I was very happy with the night, and even the cold walk back to the car didn't seem that cold with some warm friends to help you along.

So what will 2009 have in store for me? Who knows!? I didn't get to eat my grapes, so who knows what the year will bring! I do know that right off the bat I'm on the hunt for a job, which I'm not looking forward to doing, but is a necessary evil. Plus when I do get one I'll finally be a little more comfortable, money-wise, which is never a bad thing.

It's a very exciting time for me. I hope everyone had a great New Year's eve, and an even better 2009!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a wonderful New Years Eve/day with you. I'm so proud of you for graduating. I never would have given up on you...even when I said I might. It just wasn't in me. I care too much and I couldn't be happier for you. You did it. You made it and there will never again be any more homework!